Mar 082013
 
Justice Minister Jeff Radebe

Justice Minister Jeff Radebe says his Department is in the process of implementing revised sexual offences courts. He was replying to a question from the Democratic Alliance (DA) in Parliament.

Radebe says the Sexual Offences Courts will start operating next month. “It is envisaged that the 58 courts, during the first six months of the financial year beginning in April, will be fully functional in terms of this revised model and we shall make announcements during the course of the year.”

President Jacob Zuma announced last month that special Sexual Offences courts would be re-introduced. The courts were scrapped in 2006.

President Zuma called on the courts to impose the harshest sentences on such crimes, as part of a concerted campaign to end this scourge in the society. This was after the gang rape and brutal murder of a 17-year-old Western Cape teenager, Anene Booysen.

There were over 64 000 cases of rape in the country in the last financial year.

 

 

SABC News.com – Sexual offences court to start operating in April:Thursday 7 March 2013

Related...