Mar 282013
 
advert

A controversial advert will be put back on air after concerns raised by various parties are addressed, the Aids control council has said.

The National Aids Control Council (NACC) on Wednesday said it had temporarily pulled out the Weka Condom Mpangoni advert after it caused uproar recently.

“We only discontinued it when various stakeholders expressed their concerns. The NACC chairperson and the board are now studying the concerns before we return it,” said the council’s head of communications Jennifer Wambua.

She said a technical committee had been established to see how the advert could be changed to accommodate the concerns raised.

Last week, some religious organisations called for the suspension of the advert which urged women who engage in extra-marital sexual relations to use condoms.

The leaders faulted the timing, message and intention of the advert, asking that it be pulled out.

Ms Wambua said the council had invited religious organisations to present their grievances to the NACC board.

New infections

Dr Patrick Mureithi, the council’s head of monitoring and evaluation, said they were exploring all ways to reduce the number of new HIV infections.

“We are now at 100,000 new infections per year and our target is to eliminate these fresh infections,” Dr Mureithi said.

Meanwhile, the council will hold its second National Biennial HIV and Aids conference at the Kenya School of Monetary Studies in Nairobi from May 6-9.

A similar conference was held in 2011 and attracted more than 500 participants.

 

 

JEREMIAH KIPLANG

Condom advert set to return on air after talks – News – nation.co.ke

Related...